Clean Eating Recipes: Salmon Pesto Pasta Salad
Embark on your clean eating journey with Wwei with her kitchen-experiments-turned-success recipes. Today's clean recipe is a delicious and simple Salmon Pesto Pasta Salad!
This recipe is kind of like a cheat meal, as there are carbohydrates involved. Substitute your usual pasta with whole-wheat spaghetti.
You will need a food processor to make fresh pesto.
INGREDIENTS (1 SERVING):
- Whole-wheat spaghetti
- Tomatoes (cherry, grape, or on-the-vine), cut into halves
- Half an avocado, cut into cubes
- Herbs (whichever you prefer: thyme, rosemary, oregano, mixed, etc)
- Black Pepper
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/8 cup of pine nuts
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small squeeze lemon juice (optional)
- Black pepper
- Marinate the salmon with salt, black pepper, and herbs. Set aside in fridge.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Spread the pine nuts over a baking tray. Bake in oven for 5 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Remove from oven and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Put whole-wheat spaghetti in boiling salted water. Use a large saucepan or pot and make sure the pasta is fully emerged in the hot water.
- Place the lid on and bring water back to boil. Stir lightly to prevent it from sticking.
- Once the pot is boiling again, remove the lid for the remaining cook time to prevent the pasta from boiling over. Reduce heat if necessary.
- After pasta is cooked (time is usually stated at the back of the packet), drain the pasta into a colander in the sink. Rinse the pasta and set aside.
- Place the pine nuts and basil leaves into the bowl of a food processor and pulse several times.
- Add the garlic and cheese and pulse several times more.
- Scrap down the sides of the food processor.
- Gradually add in the oil, and pulse. You just need enough to bind the sauce and get it to a smooth consistency, so add it bit by bit.
- Season to taste. You may like to add a squeeze of lemon juice at the end. Set aside.
- Add a little bit of oil into the saucepan and pan-fry the salmon on both sides.
- Shred the salmon.
- Place the arugula, tomatoes, avocado, spaghetti, salmon and pesto in a large bowl and toss.
There you have it!